Even though we’re no strangers to warm weather in Miami, the official kick-off to summer means adjusting to slightly lighter and more refreshing options for our skin care and beauty rituals. Just ahead, I’m sharing some of the essential summer skin care tips and products I’m keeping handy this season.
Many of us have been in quarantine for months now, trying to maintain overall health and sanity in the midst of a global pandemic that doesn’t seem to be subsiding in the U.S. For many — myself included — this has meant leaning more into self care and certain anchors of (simulated) normalcy.
While it may not make sense to some, I’ve clung to my daily beauty rituals, making those five minutes in the morning the same as if I were getting ready to head out for the day (I’m still wearing makeup Monday through Friday). Truly, I’m grateful to be in a situation where I’m able to stay home and stay safely away from the front lines of this situation. Even if sometimes it means going a little stir crazy.
I’m finding relief in focusing on some of my favorite hobbies, like skin care and trying out new beauty products. In this post, I’m sharing some of the new + tried & true products that have become mainstays throughout these long, hot days.
4 ESSENTIAL SUMMER SKIN CARE TIPS + FAVORITE PRODUCTS
1 – HYDRATE
We’re sweating away our fluids in this intense summer heat (at least I am…). So it’s time to step it up with hydration over the next few months.
- For your health – We’re already cooped up hiding away from Covid-19 and everyone who refuses to wear masks. Drinking enough water is key to staying healthy. Do yourself a favor and make drinking water regularly part of your day. This fruit-infuser water bottle ($17.95) makes it easy to add cucumber or citrus to your daily intake.
- For your skin – I love a refreshing skin mist for summer. Recently, I’ve been lucky enough to try MUKAMA Botanica’s High Vibe Face Mist ($55). It smells like the most delicate tangerine mixed with sandalwood. The formula is meant to protect skin with antioxidants (tangerine), calm all skin types (rose water), and tone/regulate oil production (sandalwood). This stuff is 100% organic, made in the USA, and shipped in recycled packaging so you can feel good about what you’re using. And since it’s inspired by Hawaiian plant healing, it helps propel daydreams of paradise until we can actually make it out to The Big Island.
- As you sanitize – Since sanitizing has become integral to our daily lives, I’ve been keeping Touchland hand sanitizers ($12) in my bag and on my desk. Their formula moisturizes while killing 99.99% of most common disease causing germs so I’m not experiencing dry, raw skin on my hands. My daughter and I love the Watermelon scent.
2 – MOISTURIZE
While it may seems counter-intuitive to moisturize when humid conditions seem to be doing that for us, excessive summer heat tends to dry out our skin. So keeping up with a face moisturizer is key to balancing your skin and even avoiding oily build-up. Instead of heavy moisturizer, try these alternatives.
- Switch to a gel: If your regular moisturizer is feeling too cake-y, opt for a lightweight gel that still delivers moisture without the thick, sticky feel. I’m currently using Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($21.49), which absorbs quickly and doubles as a primer.
- Heal overnight: Leave the thicker options for night-time as your body is more open to healing and restoring. I’m trying Grown Alchemist’s Detox Night Cream ($125) (a favorite sample that came in a FFF box for summer), packed with echinacea, right before bed.
- Try a serum patch: I love under-eye patches because they deliver the product exactly where it needs to be without any goopy mess. Currently, I’m loving Erno Laszlo’s Multi-Task Eye Serum Mask ($38) for under-eye dark circles, puffiness, and fine lines. I wear them for about 10 minutes a couple of times a week and enjoy a tiny spa-like experience at home.
3 – USE DAILY SPF
Whether you spray it on or blend it in, SPF is crucial even if you’re just running to the grocery store with a mask on.
- Spray it on: This stuff goes on easy and absorbs quickly. I keep Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Lightweight Sunscreen Spray ($8.99) around for easy access before long walks or backyard fun.
- Work it in: You can also try the same product in a Non-Greasy Sunscreen Stick ($8.99) for face and body.
- Keep it in your makeup: I love makeup that already has SPF built in. Options like IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Foundation with SPF 50+ ($39.50) and Sugar Lip Balm SPF 15 ($24) are pretty and responsible.
4 – ADJUST YOUR MAKEUP
Though I’m usually partial to powder foundation (IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation ($36) is my go-to) and matte lip shades, that stuff will just melt right off in high heat and humidity. Instead I’m switching to these:
- CC Cream – IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream with SPF 50 ($39.50) gives me enough coverage while not feeling thick or heavy. Plus, the SPF is already built in. I top it off with Josie Maran’s Argan Color Lip & Cheek Stick ($22) for a flush of color.
- Lip Oil – Considering we’re in quarantine, I’ve been simplifying my product use for things that feel nurturing and saving heavier colors and products for Zoom meetings and virtual birthdays. My favorites right now are Clarins Shimmer & Shine Lip Comfort Oil ($26), which comes in a couple of shades, and Jouer Essential Hydrating Lip Oil ($18) that plays up your natural lip color and never feels sticky.
- High Color Lip Balm – Gentler formulas are key right now. I’ve been obsessed with Bobbi Brown’s Crushed Lip Color ($29) which looks like a lipstick but feels like a balm, so you’re never dried out. My favorite shade by Ulla Johnson is sold out, but Sunset, a bright orange hue, is a very close second.
And, when in doubt, grab a hat and some shades that make an inflatable pool and matching flamingo feel very much like a staycation in the backyard. Hope you’re all staying safe and healthy out there. We’ll get through this together. Stay home, wear a mask, and enjoy the little things.