Saturday afternoon found me reminiscing on the blur that was my early twenties: I hunted for parking around South Beach for about twenty minutes, touched up my makeup in the car, and stood in line on Washington Avenue to get into the hottest party. This time, however, it was the Vixen Workout that was holding a line to rival that of any tourist trap on the beach. And the twerking was in full force, as expected. My early twenties may be a distant memory, but I was able to channel all my cheer/dance/club girl days to get through one of the most intense workouts I’ve had in a while. Read on for tips on how to survive your first Vixen experience.
How to Survive a Vixen Workout
- Wear something comfortable and cute. Tights are your best friend. Add a tank and you’re all set. This is the kind of class where it’s OK to look sexy. It adds to the vibe. I even wore makeup and a colorful pout (even though it all melted right off). This is as much about feeling good about yourself and finding your confidence as it is about getting fit.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Bring a bottle of water because you are about to sweat like you’ve been caught sinning in church.
- Dance like no one is watching. Because they’re really not. There are no boys allowed and everyone else is just trying to follow along and get their groove on.
- Get lost in the music. You may feel a little awkward at first, but once Beyonce comes on, you can’t help but get lost in the rhythm and let it take you away. You may not be fully coordinated, but that really doesn’t matter as long as you keep moving.
- Twerk it like Miley. This is probably the only time when it’s OK to leave your husband and child behind to twerk it like you’re a former Disney teen idol. You may even find yourself enjoying it – and that’s OK. It’s all in the name of fitness.
- Channel your inner rock star. Once the lights are dimmed and the music is turned up, that’s pretty easy to do. Pretending like you’re the star of your own music video also helps. You know you’ve done it while cleaning. Do the same here in order to get the full experience.
- Keep some painkillers on standby for afterwards. Just because this is an incredibly fun workout doesn’t mean you should underestimate its effectiveness. The greatest thing about the Vixen Workout is that it feels like a girls night out while still delivering results. Just a few hours later, I had some soreness in my muscles, which felt incredibly satisfying.
- Make friends and do it again. I was surprised to find that everyone was really friendly and excited about class. There were motivated and empowered women all around me of all ages and walks of life. And they were all proud to be a part of what they excitedly refer to as the Vixen Army.
I’m not entirely sure I’m ready to enlist yet, but I fully support anything that brings women together to make them feel strong and beautiful. I’m looking forward to trying it again, this time with a bit more coordination.
The Vixen Workout is currently available in Florida and New York. To book a spot for class, click here for a current schedule in your city. Many thanks to CoverGirl for making me feel like a bombshell during my very first Vixen Workout. Check out their new Bombshell Volume Mascara for seriously sexy lashes.