If there was one golden ticket last night, it was definitely Mara Hoffman Swim. Unfortunately, that meant that getting into the show, or even through it, in some sort of orderly fashion was basically out of the question. Considering that 95% of my pictures are riddled with arms raising iPads and iPhones, I felt compelled to bring to light some basic fashion show attendance etiquette. Here’s a quick list of rules to keep you on everyone’s good side and keep your limbs out of their photos.
Tag Archives: girlonthego
MBFW Swim: Day 3
Day 3. Sigh. Day 3… Day 3 can only really be defined by the number of hours we stood in line. We waited in line to park. We waited in line to check in. And then we waited in the mother of all lines for the highly anticipated Mara Hoffman show. Then I’m pretty sure we stood in line to stand in line to get into the tent. But once we were in, give or take a few challenges, we knew what all the waiting was about. Mara Hoffman was spectacular. The prints. The colors. The gorgeous models with the pom-poms in their hair. It was the sexiest display anyone could have hoped for on a hot summer night in Miami. And the best way to end Swim Week for me. Motherhood calls and that’s my favorite show, hands down.
Check out all the event pictures after the jump…
MBFW Swim: Day 2
I wish I could tell you I was in better shape, but the truth is that fashion week is not for the fragile. Perhaps I underestimated the stamina and preparation it requires to survive five days of shows, but I’d liken it to the kind of focus one dedicates to training for a marathon (not that I’ve ever done that). Day two of Swim Week left me aching and blistered – quite literally, unfortunately, due to my stubborn insistence on wearing some sparkly little Guess wedges that felt reasonably comfortable in my living room but not as forgiving on the pool deck of the SLS hotel after three shows and five hours of standing-room-only accommodations. Still, my worship of this industry is propelling me forward. And so it shall be that I continue on…in flats.
Check out some pics from last night’s events with Poko Pano and Suboo Swim being at the top of my list for the day.
MBFW Swim: Day 1
10 THINGS I LEARNED ON THE FIRST DAY OF SWIM WEEK
- Miami weather spares no one. Always have a backup plan.
- The fashion crowd will weather any storm in the name of runway.
- Don’t expect anything to run on time. The fashion crowd will make it to said runway show at least one hour post call time.
- Never wear heels to a beach party. Getting sand between your toes is festive. Getting sand in your Louboutins is tragic.
- Go for a less complicated beauty regime. That stack of makeup it took to make me look presentable melted right off the minute I stepped into Miami’s perpetual humidity for the poolside show.
- Skip the flat iron. Blow-drying curly hair in 90% humidity is an exercise in futility. One I’m ashamed I continue to attempt.
- Wear what you like and are comfortable in. Whether it’s a bodycon dress or jeans and a tee, style is a very personal thing. Fashion week is the time to be true to that. Trying to pull off anything else, no matter how on-trend, will just be unflattering.
- Always opt for the party with free cocktails. It makes the tardiness much more tolerable.
- No matter what, the show WILL go on. And it will be fabulous.
- Despite all the challenges, I’m ready and eager to do it all over again.
View event pictures after the jump…