10 THINGS I LEARNED ON THE FIRST DAY OF SWIM WEEK
- Miami weather spares no one. Always have a backup plan.
- The fashion crowd will weather any storm in the name of runway.
- Don’t expect anything to run on time. The fashion crowd will make it to said runway show at least one hour post call time.
- Never wear heels to a beach party. Getting sand between your toes is festive. Getting sand in your Louboutins is tragic.
- Go for a less complicated beauty regime. That stack of makeup it took to make me look presentable melted right off the minute I stepped into Miami’s perpetual humidity for the poolside show.
- Skip the flat iron. Blow-drying curly hair in 90% humidity is an exercise in futility. One I’m ashamed I continue to attempt.
- Wear what you like and are comfortable in. Whether it’s a bodycon dress or jeans and a tee, style is a very personal thing. Fashion week is the time to be true to that. Trying to pull off anything else, no matter how on-trend, will just be unflattering.
- Always opt for the party with free cocktails. It makes the tardiness much more tolerable.
- No matter what, the show WILL go on. And it will be fabulous.
- Despite all the challenges, I’m ready and eager to do it all over again.
View event pictures after the jump…