My visit to Christie Pea’s couldn’t have come at a better time, considering I was in serious need of brow therapy and a little me-time following two straight weeks of work/motherhood/work/work and work. I’m not complaining but rather just insisting that a glass of wine now and then (more now than then) while having your nails buffed is not just nice – it’s necessary for mental sanity. Which is why Christie Pea’s royal treatment (the Duchess, to be precise) and Lucy R.’s brow repair were exactly what I needed that afternoon.
A recent visit to brow expert Lucy R. confirmed what I’d suspected for some time now: Not only are my eyebrows disproportionately shaped; they’re also not even on the same level. They share completely separate longitudinal coordinates. If my eyebrows were trains featured in a math problem about intersection, they’d just run perpetually parallel past each other while waving goodbye. Which is why I’m now in what Lucy lovingly calls “brow rehab,” hoping to fix this issue once and for all. But until then, as my brows are slowly grown in and guided back to where they once were, I’ll be faking the perfect shape with the help of a few tools. Read on for an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to properly fill in your brows.
God bless Beyonce for making naturally wavy hair so damn cool. Her gorgeous Grammy ‘do was simple, casual, and yet so incredibly chic. This means I may actually skip a keratin treatment in the next couple of months and try to flaunt my Cuban curls for a while. If you are one of my tribe with the hair you’ve been trying to straighten against its will for years, give your tresses a break and follow this easy tutorial by Bey’s stylist Kim Kimble (@kimblehaircare) to replicate the carefree wavy bob.
GET THAT BOB:
1) For a show-stopping wet, sexy look inspired by the 1920’s, start with clean, wet hair.
2) Next, work the Pantene Pro-V Curly No Crunch Curls Whip into hair from root to tip to define frizz-free curls. Then brush through with a paddle brush to create soft, piece-y waves, and scrunch hair to help keep its definition.
3) Spritz the Pantene Advanced+ Keratin Repair KeraGloss Oil Mist to add brilliant shine.
4) To go from sexy to modern ‘20s chic, dry hair with a diffuser. Point the diffuser toward your crown to keep hair smooth at the root and use underneath at the ends of hair to achieve volume.
5) Continue to scrunch hair until dry for added body. Use a 1/2 inch flat iron and wrap small pieces of hair around it to create additional soft waves, similar to a curling wand, to create a few additional waves.
6) Tame flyaways at the roots of hair by using the Pantene Pro-V Stylers Shaping Hairspray. It’s important this style looks messy and flawless, so a small amount of product at the crown is all you need.
7) Finish off the look with the Pantene Advanced+ Keratin Repair KeraGloss Oil Mist for shiny, effortless waves.
Image used with permission. Photo courtesy of P&G/Getty Images.
“Our skin is a direct reflection of what we put into our bodies. What we eat, what we drink, everything we consume shows up on the surface,” explains Alberto, founder of Relax Spa and my esthetician for the day, as he describes the way in which the JetPeel Hydra-Infusion facial works from deep within the skin to remove impurities and provide rejuvenating results on the surface. He likens it to pressure-cleaning for your face and I nod emphatically, immediately regretting my breakfast burrito and wondering how deep he’s going to have to dig to eliminate months of speed-mom drive-thru breakfasts.
Happy New Year, friends (Is it too late to say that?). In a very rare occurrence, Tony and I had a babysitter for the day and were able to enjoy a child-free brunch date at Segafredo (thanks to a great Groupon deal). Not that we don’t enjoy taking the little one out, but we certainly like to keep the date nights (or days, rather) alive whenever possible. We’ve realized being parents has given us a whole new appreciation for daytime drinking that we certainly took for granted pre-kid. Also, while the rest of the country is covered in snow, I have to admit I’m grateful for spring weather in Miami. Hope the locals are enjoying the sunshine while everyone else is keeping warm. Wishing everyone a great weekend!